Imagine being just eight years old and inheriting a fortune worth an estimated $61 million. And now imagine, instead of deciding to buy dozens of ponies and backstage passes to every single Taylor Swift concert stop, you decide to give the entire fortune away. That’s exactly what an 8-year-old Indian girl named Devanshi Sanghvi just did. Why? So she could be initiated as a nun within the controversial Jain faith, which among other things requires adherents to forego all earthly pleasures – including money.
According to local reports, Sanghvi was set to eventually inherit the family fortune behind the Sangvhi and Sons diamond company, but that she waived her inheritance by taking the vow of renunciation known as “diksha” before thousands of in-person witnesses. The ceremony involves giving away all material possessions and even having her head shaved bare in order to accept the Jain life of impoverished servitude.
Kirti Shah, another person in the diamond business and a Sangvhi family friend said this to the BBC about the situation:
“She can no longer stay at home, her parents are no longer her parents, she’s a Sadhvi [a nun] now…A Jain nun’s life is really austere. She will now have to walk everywhere, she can never take any kind of transport, she’ll sleep on a white sheet on the floor and cannot eat after sundown.”
RAVEENDRAN/AFP via Getty Images
It’s not known whether adult Devanshi Sanghvi might have any legal recourse to contest the decision she made while just 8 years old, but it’s possible that there could be some legal challenge down the road should that be the case.
Jain is reportedly one of the oldest religions in the world, and most of its estimated 4 million adherents live in western India. They believe in an absolute form of nonviolence in which even taking the lives of plants is forbidden.
The practice of initiating nuns as young as 8 is rare but not unheard of in the country, and several attempts to have it abolished have failed going back to at least the 1950s.
Read more: 8-Year-Old Diamond Heiress Devanshi Sanghvi Gives Up $61 Million Fortune To Become A Nun
- Empowerment: 30 Host Community Youths Graduate from Dangote Electrical Training Programme
- Kwara Gov leads victorious APC candidates on a thank-you-visit to Emir of Ilorin, first class monarchs
- NIDCOM BOSS COMMENDS NIGERIA IMMIGRATION SERVICES (NIS) ON ESTABLISHMENT OF ADDITIONAL VISA CENTERS
- Rite Foods Celebrates With Muslim Faithful’s During Ramadan, Urges Peaceful-coexistence
- Mouka Felicitates Muslims, Promotes Quality Sleep To Safeguard Wellbeing During Ramadan
- Supporters Trekking To Kano Over My Victory Should Stop – Abba Gida-Gida
- GTCO FOOD & DRINK FESTIVAL 2023… A CELEBRATION OF FOOD!
- Ramadan: Zenith Pathfinders Organizes Free Medical Screening For Muslim Community In Ogun
- i am not trying to manipulate Abia ELECTIONS INEC Chairman
- Solomon: It’s Renewed Hope for Nigeria, Sustained Progress in Lagos
- FCT POLICE DISCOVERS SUSPECTED INDIAN HEMP FARM, ARREST PLANTER.
- 2023: SHETTIMA, SANWO-OLU, OTHERS DRUM SUPPORT FOR TINUBU
- Buhari to address 77th UN General Assembly
- Chinese stabs girlfriend to death in Kano
- KSA@76: Iconic Maestro Rides On by Faj