Gunmen suspected to be terrorists on Friday abducted dozens of worshippers from a Jumuat Mosque in Zugu community of Gummi local government area of Zamfara state.
Residents said the armed men hid their guns inside their clothes and stormed the mosque when the Imam was about to start delivering sermon.
“When they laid siege, they asked those outside to go into the mosque told worshippers that they had come to negotiate the release of some captives with them.
“No one saw them with guns and many people mistook them for worshippers. Nobody paid attention to them because they hid their guns. However, shortly after they moved inside the mosque, they brought out the rifles and fired some warning shots. They herded the congregants in to bush but some of the worshippers managed to scramble out of the mosque to safety. The muezzin was among those kidnapped but the Imam was able to escape the assault.
“Some those who were outside the mosque were also abducted because unknown to them that some armed men took positions outside. They fired several gunshots into the air and then moved to forest with the captives,” a resident who simply identified himself as Abubakar said.
The spokesman of the state police command SP Muhammad Shehu said he had not received report about the attack but promised to get back to our correspondent.
- Empowerment: 30 Host Community Youths Graduate from Dangote Electrical Training Programme
- Kwara Gov leads victorious APC candidates on a thank-you-visit to Emir of Ilorin, first class monarchs
- NIDCOM BOSS COMMENDS NIGERIA IMMIGRATION SERVICES (NIS) ON ESTABLISHMENT OF ADDITIONAL VISA CENTERS
- Rite Foods Celebrates With Muslim Faithful’s During Ramadan, Urges Peaceful-coexistence
- Mouka Felicitates Muslims, Promotes Quality Sleep To Safeguard Wellbeing During Ramadan
- Supporters Trekking To Kano Over My Victory Should Stop – Abba Gida-Gida
- GTCO FOOD & DRINK FESTIVAL 2023… A CELEBRATION OF FOOD!
- Ramadan: Zenith Pathfinders Organizes Free Medical Screening For Muslim Community In Ogun
- i am not trying to manipulate Abia ELECTIONS INEC Chairman
- Solomon: It’s Renewed Hope for Nigeria, Sustained Progress in Lagos
- FCT POLICE DISCOVERS SUSPECTED INDIAN HEMP FARM, ARREST PLANTER.
- 2023: SHETTIMA, SANWO-OLU, OTHERS DRUM SUPPORT FOR TINUBU
- Buhari to address 77th UN General Assembly
- Chinese stabs girlfriend to death in Kano
- KSA@76: Iconic Maestro Rides On by Faj