Sir Michael Otedola, father of billionaire businessman, Femi Otedola, and former Governor of Lagos State, is dead. He died at the age of 88.
Otedola, father of the CEO of Forte Oil, died this morning at his Epe residence in Lagos, after his health deteriorated. He had returned from an overseas treatment in January after he suffered a stroke.
Michael Otedola was born on the 16th July 1926 into a Muslim family at Odoragunsin, Epe Local Government Area of Lagos State.
After moving to city centre of Lagos to pursue his education he won a scholarship to study Journalism at the Regent Street Polytechnic in London where he graduated in 1958.
He began his career as a teacher before working as a reporter at the St. Pancras Chronicle, then as a reporter and later sub-editor at The Guardian and The Times in England.
On his return to Nigeria in 1959 he became an Information Officer in the Western Nigeria government. While in this post he was appointed the Editor of the Western Nigeria Illustrated.
In 1961 he moved into public relations, working for Western Nigeria Television/Western Broadcasting Service (1961-1964) and Mobil Oil Group of Companies (1964-1977), continuing as a consultant to Mobil after leaving the company.
He was elected governor of Lagos State from 1992 to 1993 on the platform of the National Republican Convention (NRC), leaving office when General Sani Abacha came to power.
His administration facilitated establishing the Yaba College of Technology campus in Epe, his home town.
After leaving office, he continued his career as a writer, a consultant holding positions on the boards of various businesses. He was a philanthropist.
In February 2010 ThisDay newspaper announced that he was among 15 eminent Nigerians who had won Lifetime Achievement Awards.
DROPS ALL ABOUT CARS TAXIS TRUCKS & MORE
powered by dotifi.com start an online business free selling domains hosting websites apps advertising business accounting solutions and more
CONTACT US NOW
NIGERIAS FIRST CAR SEARCH ENGINE
BUY SELL CARS ONLINE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD CALL SMS WHATSAPP 234 806 495 0565
POWERED BY DROPS.NG RINGROAD CAR BOOKING & DOTWAKA.COM SHIPPING & WWW.AIR.I.NG
OJO OJO O ! NIGERIAS FIRST SEARCH ENGINE
FOR ADVERT CALL WHATSAPP 234 806 495 0565 !
… we have a small favour to ask. Millions are turning to Swordpress for open, independent, quality news every day, and readers in 180 countries around the world now support us financially.
We believe everyone deserves access to information that’s grounded in science and truth, and analysis rooted in authority and integrity. That’s why we made a different choice: to keep our reporting open for all readers, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. This means more people can be better informed, united, and inspired to take meaningful action.
In these perilous times, a truth-seeking global news organisation like Swordpress is essential. We have no shareholders or billionaire owner, meaning our journalism is free from commercial and political influence – this makes us different. When it’s never been more important, our independence allows us to fearlessly investigate, challenge and expose those in power. Support Swordpress from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you. go to www.dash.i.ng
- FCT POLICE DISCOVERS SUSPECTED INDIAN HEMP FARM, ARREST PLANTER.
- 2023: SHETTIMA, SANWO-OLU, OTHERS DRUM SUPPORT FOR TINUBU
- Buhari to address 77th UN General Assembly
- Chinese stabs girlfriend to death in Kano
- KSA@76: Iconic Maestro Rides On by Faj
- OSINBAJO TO REPRESENT NIGERIA AT STATE FUNERAL FOR QUEEN ELIZABETH II IN LONDON
- PANAF condemns the directive by govt to arrest entertainers in Northern Nigeria
- Ogun will partner with foreign firms to boost cotton production – Abiodun
- Bandits relocating to North-East, govs raise the alarm
- MultiChoice to merge BBNaija with Big Brother SA, announces more packages
- JUST IN: Terrorists attack Zamfara mosque, kidnap worshippers
- Opinion!BUHARI’S FOOTPRINTS FROM HOME TO DIASPORA
- Bemore Summer bootcamp: Jimoh Ibrahim Promises To Sponsor 100 Boys …Donates N10m For BEMORE Institution
- We are better off under AbdulRazaq’s govt: Kwara college of education teachers • say no regret backing Gov
- Kwara United will excel at Continental, says Gov • AbdulRazaq bags Award for investment in Sports industr